Here’s something you may or may not know about me: I love odd numbers and hate even numbers. Hate them. And, if they had reasoning abilities, I would be convinced that they are in cohorts with the feline community in a plot to take over the world. But that’s a different blog for a different day.
Now that you
understand know where I am coming from, you will better appreciate how the following events unfolded.
A few nights ago I was reading before bed. These days most of my reading is done through my Kindle – which has its pros and cons. Given my feelings toward even numbers, the percentage count at the bottom of the “page” can be both a pro and a con for me. But God used it to teach me something the other night. I finished a chapter and decided to go ahead and read one more before calling it a night. As I came to my selected stopping point I noticed that I was on chapter 53… which just so happens to be 77% through the book.
I smiled and may or may not have giggled a little to myself. It was literally the perfect stopping point for me! I just had to stop and thank God for sending me that “funny little blessing.” But then I realized that I have a lot of those in my life, most definitely more than I realize or acknowledge.
Some blessings are easy to spot: healing, a friend coming to know Christ, family, rain during a drought, Gospel-centered conversations, friends, narrowly avoiding a car wreck. And the list goes on and on. But others are often more subtle. Anything that makes you laugh (or do that inner “teehee” giggle) or that makes your face and your heart smile is, in my book, a funny little blessing.
Here are some of mine:
– A cool breeze whipping my hair around on a hot day (cue Willow Smith)
– Watching my hamster Mel roll around in his little plastic ball
– My nephew saying he was “just taking a nap” when I woke him up at 6:30 am
– When my favorite football player makes a great snag for the first down
– When my niece gives her drawing an OSU shirt, necklace, and bracelet
– A cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows on a chilly evening
– Laughing at funny quotes from TV shows, movies, and youtube videos
– The lady yelling, “Woohoo!” as she came out of the water at her baptism
– Watching a kitten fall off a chair trying to chase it’s tail (it wasn’t hurt)
– Conversations with friends about absolutely nothing & everything
– Getting loud and excited during basketball games
This list could also go on and on, but 11 is my favorite number so I’ll stop there. Just know that if you are reading this, you are contributing to my list of funny little blessings. But I’m curious, what is on YOUR list???